Thursday, April 30, 2009

The blame game

So JJB Sports has only narrowly avoided going into administration - no prizes for guessing who the firm's founder, Wigan chairman Dave Whelan, has been quick to point the finger of blame at...

"What went wrong? Well, there's all kinds of things that you can suspect or you look at. Was Mike Ashley involved with [former JJB chief executive] Chris Ronnie in trying to wreck the company? I don't know that."

But you're still happy to insinuate it, though, aren't you Dave? Oh yes.

"When Chris Ronnie made an offer for my shares Mike Ashley had already been to see me twice to try and buy my shares and then competition rules were against him. Then Chris Ronnie turned up and offered me £180m or so and I did the deal on condition that Mike Ashley wasn't involved. They signed documentation to say he wasn't involved. He [Ronnie] took over and promptly wrecked the company".

News just in: Ashley is also responsible for the credit crunch, shooting JR and the extinction of the dinosaurs.

Whelan bizarrely went on to claim that the vendetta isn't personal: "I don't dislike Mike Ashley. I think he's a very, very shrewd businessman. I get on very well with him actually. I've no real arguments with him. He's a very shrewd, ruthless businessman and good luck to him". "Ruthless"? Sounds like a very backhanded compliment to me.

And meanwhile our owner continues to keep a dignified public silence. I hereby refer the right dishonourable twat to his earlier comments about class and rest my case.
Share

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home