Wednesday, December 02, 2009

Don't Mackem me go

"I don’t care about Sunderland. Even if the newspapers said Chelsea, I wouldn’t care. I worry for my team – I love the city, I love the club and I don’t care about signing for another team."

Allow me to translate for Jose Enrique here: "Please, please, please don't send me to t'dark place". Little chance of him swapping Tyneside for Wearside in January, I'd say, and a good thing, too - after Kevin Nolan and Alan Smith, he's been arguably our best and most consistent performer this campaign. All of them were thoroughly rotten last season - what's changed?! It can't just be the level we're playing at, can it?

On the subject of the reopening of the transfer window in the new year, Steve Claridge - "the BBC's Football League expert", no less - believes we won't sell anyone. Is it tempting fate to agree with his logic (such as it is)? Probably, and I do dispute his contention that we haven't got anyone who would bring in a decent return (Enrique, Nolan, Fabricio Coloccini, Steven Taylor and Spiderman just for starters), but I hope he's right. Even with one of the largest and strongest squads in the Championship, it's investment and recruitment we'll need if the promotion push is to stay on track.
Share

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home