Friday, September 12, 2008

Power to the people

Following the events of the two weeks, there's been plenty of discussion about how best to show the Fat Controller and his poisoned dwarf what the paying public think of what's happened.

Essentially, the question seems to boil down to whether or not tomorrow's match against Hull should be boycotted.

In my opinion, the answer is no.

If you are a season ticket holder, then you've already paid to go to the match, so Ashley's got your money, so non attendance won't actually hurt him.

The only people you'll be hurting by not attending are the team, who probably need all the help they can get given the state of their morale, and the fact that Hull will doubtless fancy that they can get a result.

What can be done to show Ashley what it means is boycotting all food outlets inside the ground and the club shops (together with those of all his other companies*), by loud and vocal support for the team and the former manager, and equally vocal expression of the frustration and anger which has arisen at what has happened.

I know different people have different views on what is a very emotive subject, but from my point of view, I was supporting Newcastle United long before Mike Ashley purchased the club in haste, and I'll be supporting the club long after he's sold it on. It's part of who I am as a Geordie.

I'm not going to shun the team because I can't stand the owner and the direction he's taking the club (all the way down the A1(M) given half a chance), but I'm certainly not going to give him any more of my money in the mean time.

* thanks to nufc.com for the link

Share

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home